FOLLOW ME - You know you want to. If Baca can get 100 I know I can get 200!

Jun 25, 2009

Minimal minimums...

Minimum wage goes up in July here in Arkansas. I'm going to have to let a ref or two go.

Minimum wage pisses me off. Sweat shops and abusive child labor makes me angry, too. But where's the middle ground? I employ young people. For 99 percent of them this is their first paycheck. Most of them are minimally aware of the responsibilities of holding a job. I'm not paying them an "allowance". There are additional responsibilities involved. Most are not even aware of the number one rule. Get to work on time. Or the second number one rule. Don't call your employer a half hour before opening time to let him know you have a family obligation (or you have Saturday school detention).

I take my responsibility to these young people seriously. I prepare them for the real world of employment. I allow them to make mistakes. I give them second chances. I tutor and mentor them - on my time.

Should they be working for free like interns? I don't think so. They have a tough job and deserve compensation. But should they be making minimum wage before the are minimally experienced?

I don't think so.

0 comments:

Popular Posts

From around the net...

OH NO, you didn't just say THAT!


"A billion-dollar company tried to steal my identity, and I was able to fight and regain my identity. That's why I'm on cloud nine; I fought the giant and I'm a success story against Activision." (Greg Hastings)
---------

Yakity yak.... 3 shot rulz... take 3 shots at my field and take a break. what's the hurry? who ya tryin to impress? this aint no freak show! why waste paint? can't hit em with three? throw three more. can't hit em with them? go fishin~ (me, on Facebook)
---------

Yes, I know Steve Davidson found the property that was the site of the first ever paintball game. No, I don't care. (Dale from the Ford Report)
---------

"How is paintball like golf? Golf is played outdoors on nice, well kept grass or, if something goes horribly wrong, off in the woods. Same with paintball." (Baca Loco)


Find more notable quotes at "Oh NO, you didn't just say that!"
copyright t-square paintball. Thank You visitors:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP