FOLLOW ME - You know you want to. If Baca can get 100 I know I can get 200!

May 1, 2008

I paid enough. It's got to be good...

Paintball needs a Consumer Report magazine. You know, the magazine that doesn't accept advertising so it can present fair and unbiased reviews of products. Nearly every day someone comes into the shop wanting something because they read something positive in some paintball magazine or saw a rave review on some forum.

Just today I read in a popular paintball newspaper a review on the Planet Eclipse Etek 2. It was a glowing report written by a player on a particular team. A couple of pages further into the paper was an article about this player's team receiving a sponsorship deal from Planet Eclipse. A couple more pages into the paper was a full page advertisement for the Etek 2.

For all I know the Etek 2 may be the best thing going (I'll never know since I can't afford the 1000+ dollar price tag). Why cast doubts with such an obviously biased review?

I see it again and again in nearly every paintball publication - editors pandering to manufacturers and distributors in exchange for advertising dollars. On top of that, many reviewers write good reviews in hopes that manufacturers will notice and send free markers for review. There's nothing like a free high end gun to get the old creative juices flowing!

And imagine the review you get on the forums from a kid who has already charged Mom's credit card and has already told all his friends he's waiting for UPS to deliver his new Galactic Blaster marker. Do you really think he's going to go on a review forum and tell the world (and his friends) he's stuck with an over priced piece of junk? It's going to be hard convincing Mom to buy all the after market stuff needed to get the marker in some sort of working condition if he gives it a bad review.

As a result nearly every review is a glowing review OR it's a negative review (deserved or not) by a writer that will never be convinced a piece of junk FORD could ever be as good as a CHEVY!

So what do you do? Where do you go for real information on all the stuff out there?

You could ask me. Paintball is not just my hobby. It's a business and I study it daily. I hear things, test things, use things and fix things and I've been doing it for 14 years.

Course, the problem there is all you get is my opinion.

And we all have those!

Popular Posts

From around the net...

OH NO, you didn't just say THAT!


"A billion-dollar company tried to steal my identity, and I was able to fight and regain my identity. That's why I'm on cloud nine; I fought the giant and I'm a success story against Activision." (Greg Hastings)
---------

Yakity yak.... 3 shot rulz... take 3 shots at my field and take a break. what's the hurry? who ya tryin to impress? this aint no freak show! why waste paint? can't hit em with three? throw three more. can't hit em with them? go fishin~ (me, on Facebook)
---------

Yes, I know Steve Davidson found the property that was the site of the first ever paintball game. No, I don't care. (Dale from the Ford Report)
---------

"How is paintball like golf? Golf is played outdoors on nice, well kept grass or, if something goes horribly wrong, off in the woods. Same with paintball." (Baca Loco)


Find more notable quotes at "Oh NO, you didn't just say that!"
copyright t-square paintball. Thank You visitors:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP