FOLLOW ME - You know you want to. If Baca can get 100 I know I can get 200!

Jul 24, 2009

Much to serious a post...

I wish I could laugh at and blow off stuff like this - 12 very disturbing paintball teams - but like it or not, this is what mil-sim is doing to the game of paintball. There was a time, back in the day, when the industry took steps to nip this kind of image in the bud and thank heaven they succeeded. Paintball moved away from this kind of nasty, para-military nonsense and became a game church groups and birthday parties could associate with. Soon after paintball became the "fastest growing action-adventure sport in the world."

Today, at a time when paintball is floundering and looking for a new foot hold, it pains me to see the old nastiness creep back. Even worse it pains me to see that no one is remembering one of the really good things we did in the past to actually help paintball grow. Instead the industry is embracing the mil-sim rage hoping they can hang on just a little bit longer while watching the life blood get sucked out of the game.

On the horizon the buzzards are circling, looking to pick off the last few bits with .50 caliber paintballs and 27 different tournament options. Players are being driven off in droves while the meager few die-hards stand around ringing their hands waiting for a new Messiah to come along and show Kingman and Tippmann and Smart Parts and etc. the error of its ways.

I'm not sure how to end this post. I can tell you I doubt paintball will ever again see the numbers and popularity we enjoyed in 2004. I've always believed paintball was just an odd little hiccup anyway - man's last dance with his caveman roots before trading it all in for virtual reality electrodes and vitamin D deficiency induced arm chair adventures. I suppose as long as there are two people, somewhere in the world, each with some sort of paintball gun, that the game will survive.

2 comments:

13 Feet Tall Jul 26, 2009, 3:04:00 AM  

I suppose i was lucky to come into the sport in summer of 2004.

Unknown Aug 4, 2009, 11:54:00 PM  

I think alot has to do with the economy. You have great prices but times are tough all over. Also, I find the "milsim" guys more fun to play around than the "come get some, yellow motocross pant wearing" guys.

Popular Posts

From around the net...

OH NO, you didn't just say THAT!


"A billion-dollar company tried to steal my identity, and I was able to fight and regain my identity. That's why I'm on cloud nine; I fought the giant and I'm a success story against Activision." (Greg Hastings)
---------

Yakity yak.... 3 shot rulz... take 3 shots at my field and take a break. what's the hurry? who ya tryin to impress? this aint no freak show! why waste paint? can't hit em with three? throw three more. can't hit em with them? go fishin~ (me, on Facebook)
---------

Yes, I know Steve Davidson found the property that was the site of the first ever paintball game. No, I don't care. (Dale from the Ford Report)
---------

"How is paintball like golf? Golf is played outdoors on nice, well kept grass or, if something goes horribly wrong, off in the woods. Same with paintball." (Baca Loco)


Find more notable quotes at "Oh NO, you didn't just say that!"
copyright t-square paintball. Thank You visitors:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP