FOLLOW ME - You know you want to. If Baca can get 100 I know I can get 200!

Apr 26, 2010

Paintball and golf...

I've always been a casual observer of golf, even before Tiger came around. Maybe it's the silent intensity of the game that attracts me. Or maybe it's the back story. It seems there is always something going on behind the scenes - maybe a personal triumph or a heartbreaking low point. The road to stardom is often a rough and rocky trail.



Recently English golfer Brian Davis lost a sudden death play off round by calling a penalty on himself. The move cost him an almost certain PGA win, his first, and well over $400,000 in prize money. He was the only one who was aware of his errant penalty shot. It took a slow motion replay to verify his claim. What I thought most interesting was he took no time between the shot and calling over an official. He took no time to ponder whether he could get away with it. He immediately called the foul, had it verified and then conceded the match to his opponent.

A few years back someone posted a question on PBNation - "Is cheating part of the game of paintball?" I was heartsick to find nearly 3 to 1 felt it was and nearly half felt it was essential to win. There hasn't been much discussion about how people feel about what Brian Davis did. Unfortunately most golf coverage has been about the number of mistresses Tiger has shagged. I'm sure there are some who think Mr Davis is an idiot and should have taken the win.

Personally, I would have called for a paint check.

3 comments:

Tinker Apr 26, 2010, 8:35:00 AM  

Mick,
The nearly half of those players that felt it was 'necessary' to cheat to win at paintball are very simply those players who aren't good enough to win honest.

An honest loss will beat a dis honest win every time. Integrity is far more valuable in the long run than a trophy. Trophies sit on the shelf, gather dust and are forgotten while honesty and integrity go through life with you to spur you on to better and greater things.

Self respect in this country is still sinking. When it hits bottom, a new and great generation will be born from the ashes.

Richelle Shattell Apr 27, 2010, 2:33:00 PM  

Amazing story. Since I'm a paintball noob, I don't know how well paint checks and enforcement against cheating is done in the pro or semi-pro competitions with this sport.

I do know how people play in the local fields, though--and there are indeed cheaters among us. (Luckily, the gangs I usually play with are honest and mature about calling themselves out.)

I fully agree with Tinker about honesty and integrity. Some people may never understand the magnitude of what Brian Davis did. For the rest of us, we know he probably (or hopefully, at least) slept a little better despite such a loss.

Popular Posts

From around the net...

OH NO, you didn't just say THAT!


"A billion-dollar company tried to steal my identity, and I was able to fight and regain my identity. That's why I'm on cloud nine; I fought the giant and I'm a success story against Activision." (Greg Hastings)
---------

Yakity yak.... 3 shot rulz... take 3 shots at my field and take a break. what's the hurry? who ya tryin to impress? this aint no freak show! why waste paint? can't hit em with three? throw three more. can't hit em with them? go fishin~ (me, on Facebook)
---------

Yes, I know Steve Davidson found the property that was the site of the first ever paintball game. No, I don't care. (Dale from the Ford Report)
---------

"How is paintball like golf? Golf is played outdoors on nice, well kept grass or, if something goes horribly wrong, off in the woods. Same with paintball." (Baca Loco)


Find more notable quotes at "Oh NO, you didn't just say that!"
copyright t-square paintball. Thank You visitors:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP